查看: 6263|回復: 5
打印 上一主題 下一主題

What is "BIAS" for? / 較BIAS有什麼用呢?

[複製鏈接]
跳轉到指定樓層
1#
alfcat 發表於 2007-11-6 18:11:00 | 只看該作者 回帖獎勵 |倒序瀏覽 |閱讀模式
Dear brothers,

I would like to ask why do we need to adjust "Bias" in our Tube Amps? Actually what is this "Bias"?

I got a tube that gives off a Bias Voltage reading of 51; whereas the recommended reading for my amp is just 35 (max.) No matter which Socket I put it or how I adjust it, it still gives around 50.

What could have gone wrong with this 6L6G Tube?

Chinese Version

各位大哥,

小弟唔明胆機上的BIAS其實是用來較什麼的. 我有一隻6L6G胆, 不論我插佢落去那個位或較BIAS, 佢都俾個讀數51, 而架機指引說明最大為35. 隻胆出了什麼問題呢? 係唔係唔要得?
2#
DUALXEON 發表於 2007-11-6 22:35:40 | 只看該作者
Cat Sir

English plus Chinese Version.really cool [-o< .

You simple question my best friend www.google.com  answer to you . :

When should I bias my amp and how do I do this?
A. What is "bias"?
"Bias" in this context refers to the amount of voltage held on the grids of the output power tubes. This controls the amount of current the output tube(s) conduct exclusive of the signal current, or, looking at it another way, the amount of overlap where both tubes are conducting simultaneously.

I will talk about the output tube current since the terms "underbiased" and "overbiased" are confusing with tube amps. A technician who works with only tube amps will usually refer to the voltage which sets the operating current in the tubes. In these amps, the bias is a negative voltage, so "overbiased" to such a technician would mean that the tubes are held in a condition of too little current, just backwards from the solid state terms most of us are familiar with. "Underbiased" would mean that the tubes have too little negative voltage on their grids and are conducting too much current simultaneously.

The idle current in the output tube and the degree to which the output tubes overlap in conduction is what you're trying to adjust, not how many volts go on the grids; you just have to use the grid volts to change the current and conduction angle.

The whole topic of bias is tied up with the "Operating Class" the power amp is designed for. There are only three classes useful to us in tube amps, Classes A, AB1, and AB2. Class A means that the output tubes are biased so that both tubes are always conducting. Even on maximum signal peaks, the tube driven most "off" will still be conducting some current. In both class AB's, the bias is set so that on a signal peak, one of the tubes can be driven completely off for some part of a signal cycle. In class AB1, no grid current flows into the grid of the tube, and in class AB2 some grid current is driven into the grid of the tubes. There is a class B, where both tubes never conduct current at the same time, only alternately.

The point of all this is this: The Class of the amplifier is determined by how much bias current is present. If there is a lot of bias voltage, the grids are held 'way negative, then only the tube which is driven by the positive going half wave of the signal at any moment is conducting. This is class B. It sounds ugly because the point where the signal crosses over from positive to negative and begins to drive the other tube is not reproduced cleanly, and creates [surprise!] crossover distortion. You can look at the output signal with an oscilloscope and see crossover clearly as you make the bias voltage too negative for both tubes to conduct at the same time. As the bias voltage is made less negative and allows both tubes to conduct a little, the crossover notch diminishes swiftly, and you are in class AB2; a little less negative, and they both conduct more, and you have class AB1. If you go further, you get to the point where both tubes always conduct, making the amp work in class A, which has the least crossover distortion of any of these operating conditions.

Too little simultaneous conduction in the output devices puts them in the most nonlinear region of their transfer characteristic, so crossover distortion is high; but as you increase the amount of simultaneous conduction, the power used and dissipated by the outputs goes up, perhaps to a disastrous degree. You are trading standby current and power dissipation in the output devices off against distortion. If both outputs are biased almost totally off at idle, crossover distortion is very bad. As the simultaneous conduction is increased, crossover goes down rapidly, until it gets smaller than the residual THD of the amp itself, and becomes much less audible. There is a fairly broad sweet spot where the crossover distortion is comparable to the THD and the idle current and idle power dissipation are reasonably low. This is the region you're looking for.

Lots of bias, both tubes conduct all the time - and eat a lot of power, get hot, other Class A kinds of things. Little bias, both tubes overlap less, get less hot, put out more total power - and produce crossover distortion, which sounds especially unpleasant.

Power tubes individually have slightly different DC gains, so the same bias voltage on two different tubes produces two different current levels. "Matched pairs" are two tubes selected to be close together. Groove Tubes grades tubes from 1 to 10 so that any two "3"'s for instance are close enough to sub for any other "3", so you don't need to rebias if you keep buying the same number from them.

Note that you may not want matched pairs, depending you your taste. See section D. below.

B. When should I bias my amp?
You should re-bias the amp whenever you change power tubes or modify the power amp circuits.

Each power tube needs a certain bias current to keep it operating at the point where the amount and type of distortion under normal conditions is well controlled. Individual tubes vary widely in the grid bias that sets the correct idle bias current. If you change tubes or tinker with the circuit, you need to make sure the tubes are set back into operation in a way that sounds good and does not cook the tubes.

Amps typically provide only one adjustment point for bias, assuming that you will have bought matched sets of power tubes.

It is possible to modify your amp to "match" unmatched tubes by setting the bias voltage and AC drive level of each tube individually. This may require some serious soldering, though. See section D. below for a discussion on matching, and the mods section for what you have to change.

C. How do I bias my amp?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CAUTION CAUTION CAUTION

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Keep in mind that tube amps use high voltages, and they can *kill* you if you don't know what you're doing. So, if in doubt, leave the job to a qualified technician.

How do you correctly bias an amp? There a few different approaches but first hook up a speaker or a passive load to the output and remove any input signals; tube amps need to have a load or they can sometimes become unstable. Check and make sure the proper size fuse is installed.
3#
DUALXEON 發表於 2007-11-6 23:45:18 | 只看該作者
Cat Sir

I have answer you other question already, but Website BUG.I loss ..........

Chinese or English whatever bug Bug BUG...............:evil:  :evil:  :evil:

I will answer you question A.S.A I can.
4#
DUALXEON 發表於 2007-11-7 03:30:48 | 只看該作者

Re: What is "BIAS" for? / 較BIAS有什麼用呢?

繼續

看你情况你枝膽有事多D.

〝我有一隻6L6G胆, 不論我插佢落去那個位或較BIAS, 佢都俾個讀數51, 而架機指引說明最大為35〞

換第二枝膽放在同一位置看看.不過放新膽前一定要較細BIAS.等開機後十幾二十分鐘才較反BIAS 30.一個鐘後枝膽熱定再Check BIAS 及至35.

如果吾得有太多因數,希望你部機末做摩改.保用期內返行修理.

Good luck
5#
 樓主| alfcat 發表於 2007-11-10 19:57:07 | 只看該作者
DualXeon 兄,

真係唔好意思, 咁遲先覆到你. 這一段日子忙得很.

我架機無改過. 我相信係隻胆的問題, 換了一隻之後一切便正常了. 多謝你教識我多一樣嘢 ... :wink:
6#
DUALXEON 發表於 2007-11-11 01:12:40 | 只看該作者
cat sir

恭喜.問題己除.

千萬不要這樣客氣,查實我都無教你嘢,我都吾多識,只是大家分享吓.
您需要登錄後才可以回帖 登錄 | 註冊

本版積分規則

GMT+8, 2024-4-19 12:49 , Processed in 0.042444 second(s), 24 queries , Gzip On.

© 2001-2011 Powered by Discuz! X3.2. Theme By Yeei!

快速回復 返回頂部 返回列表