查看: 30674|回復: 64
打印 上一主題 下一主題

Upgrading Marantz 7C capacitors

[複製鏈接]
跳轉到指定樓層
1#
alfcat 發表於 2007-12-21 20:49:13 | 只看該作者 回帖獎勵 |倒序瀏覽 |閱讀模式
Dear Accphoto and brothers,

My friend now gets hold of my Marantz 7C. He is wondering whether he can make the BASS better by replacing the capacitors.

As Accphoto pointed out once I can upgrade the 0.01uf cap. But in the KIT I got, there is NO 0.01uf cap at all as it is not cater for LP / Phono.

Dear Accphoto, by making us of the photos I posted, can you suggest me how to upgrade the caps for my friend?

Link to the photo: http://www.hififever.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1725

CAT
2#
accphoto 發表於 2007-12-23 21:12:49 | 只看該作者
There is two ways in improving the bass, change the Elect-Cap , currently you are using RIFA (330U) and BHC, Try to change the RIFA 330U to BHC, You can also change all  0.22U (WIma to other brand) and also change 2.2U to other brand. Personal, I do not like WIMA on tube amp as they will sound "thin" You can try auricap but I do suggest to change 2.2U to at least 3U. Since I only got the photo, it is only a guess and you should post the circuit.
3#
 樓主| alfcat 發表於 2007-12-24 08:48:01 | 只看該作者
Dear Accphoto,

Thank you so much for your help.

I have attached the schematics for this Marantz 7C. Please take a look and give me some of your valuable advice.

This time, I am doing it for my colleague. He said he is willing to spend around HK$ 2K or so for the capacitors. So please advise him on what BRAND of caps he can use as well.

Once again, thank you very much!

CAT
4#
 樓主| alfcat 發表於 2007-12-24 09:48:37 | 只看該作者
Dear Accphoto,

I forgot to attach the file .. ha..ha..

本帖子中包含更多資源

您需要 登錄 才可以下載或查看,沒有帳號?註冊

x
5#
accphoto 發表於 2007-12-24 13:10:06 | 只看該作者
I know this schematics, I have done it for my friend but I have change the value as follows :
B+ is too low, M7 is running at +280V in order to sound good.
Add a 3.3K resistor per channel between B+ and R2
Change C3 to a larger value capacitor say 2u to 3U.
Try not to use WIMA, it sound terrible on tube amp.
There are a lot of Marantz 7 circuit but this one definitely is not a good one as B+ voltage is too run. +240V should just be the voltage for T1 before the load resistor.No wonder it sound bad without bass.

The value that i suggest to you is not marantz as the value use by Marantz is too small for modern capacitors. The schematic is based on Sid Smith 7.
6#
Koifarm 發表於 2007-12-24 18:40:00 | 只看該作者
Alfcat you must replace C1,2,3,7,8,11 0,22 uF for 0,33 or 0,47 uf and C14,15 2,2 uF for 4,7 uF or 10 uF. Use brands you used for the MHZS mod or if this is to expensive i like to use Clarity Caps SA serie.

http://www.capsandcoils.com/shop ... x&cPath=1_5

Put parallel to C14 and 15 a small Capacitor 10nf to perfect the hightones.

What type/brand of tubes you use?. This is also a issue, tuberolling can improve the sound.
7#
 樓主| alfcat 發表於 2007-12-24 19:02:32 | 只看該作者
Dear Koifarm,

I haven't seen this Clarity Cap before. The Marantz 7 is in the hands of my colleague now. He wants to buy it from me but asked me to help him solve the problem of "loosey" base. He wants more SOLID bass.

Where can I get Clarity Cap? Are they expensive?

Merry Christmas to you!

CAT
8#
 樓主| alfcat 發表於 2007-12-24 19:09:15 | 只看該作者
Dear Accphoto,

Thanks for your valuable advice.

There is nothing I can do with the Voltage, right?

I will follow your advice and change the components once I got the Marantz 7 back.

Thank you and Merry Christmas to you.

CAT
9#
 樓主| alfcat 發表於 2007-12-24 19:10:11 | 只看該作者
Sorry Koifarm,

The Marantz 7C is using Mullard 12AX7 tubes. Blackburn, '60s and closely matched.

CAT
10#
accphoto 發表於 2007-12-24 22:01:17 | 只看該作者
For the B+, yes, there is nothing you can do unless there is significant changes. I do not like DIYZONE's kit as they always change a lot and lost the original spirit. At the moment, you can change the caps and this will improve the tone and the bass. However, "好低音難求", sometimes, it is just a little bit of bass and cost you an arm and a leg.
11#
Koifarm 發表於 2007-12-24 23:08:49 | 只看該作者
Alfcat here you can order the Clarity Caps,

http://www.capsandcoils.com/shop ... b6f50bb924c136d494d

These caps are not expensive.

You can use one EH 5751 goldpin tube,i like this tube because of his solid bass.
The 5751 has lower gain as the 12ax7( about 20% ), mostly this is not a problem. You get a better range of your volumepotmeter to.
12#
 樓主| alfcat 發表於 2007-12-24 23:51:38 | 只看該作者
Dear Accphoto,

Thanks for the advice. I wise 10 years from now, I could be as good as you are ... ha..ha...

For the time being, we can only stick to KITs .... and learn by trial & error.

I took your advice and changed the Caps inside the Matisse to Auricap. Indeed, they sound VERY different. The Matisse now is much much better and natural. Just run it for around 5 hours and both me and my wife are very satisfied.

Enclosed is the photo of the Matisse after changing to Auricaps.

CAT

本帖子中包含更多資源

您需要 登錄 才可以下載或查看,沒有帳號?註冊

x
13#
accphoto 發表於 2007-12-25 12:40:34 | 只看該作者
Since you are already using RMG (or RMA?), It will sound very good if you are using the right caps. You next upgrade will proper cost you more as the elec-caps are worth upgrading but it is really expensive as you can only upgrade to BHC or Blackgate.

Oh, BTW, Auricap needs about 50-100 hours run in before really give the best performance....
14#
 樓主| alfcat 發表於 2007-12-25 20:52:49 | 只看該作者
Dear Accphoto,

Should I suggest my colleague to upgrade the Marantz 7C power supply caps to BlackGate if he is willing to pay?

CAT
15#
accphoto 發表於 2007-12-25 23:40:47 | 只看該作者
Upgrade tp Blackgate may not solve the problem. In my opinion, the power supply voltage is too low.
16#
 樓主| alfcat 發表於 2007-12-26 17:21:07 | 只看該作者
Then I can only suggest him to change the capacitors as you have suggested (and increase the uf of some of those as well).

What is the use of adding the 3.3K resistors between B+ and R2?

CAT
17#
accphoto 發表於 2007-12-27 00:09:23 | 只看該作者
The last tube is a cathay follower ( 陰極輸出), The original design is that it should work at 280V, the two tubes in front, it is design to work at lower voltage (240V), so the 3.3K resistor is to reduce the operating voltage from 280V to 240V.
18#
steve138 發表於 2007-12-27 11:54:52 | 只看該作者
Dear Cat Sir and Accphoto,
Your Matisse is Reference or Fantasy ? What are the sound performance different from Reference and Fantasy ? Which one is better ?
Do you have the schematics ? If yes, would you post it for my reference .
Thank you very much .
19#
accphoto 發表於 2007-12-27 12:24:27 | 只看該作者
This one is reference as using 2 tubes, Fantasy is using 4 tubes but  each tubes are run in parallel . If you look at the circuit, they are essential the same but two tubes in parallel means more problem on matching the tube. So I think reference sound better. For circuit, you should search the forum as it was posted before.
20#
 樓主| alfcat 發表於 2007-12-27 17:43:13 | 只看該作者
Dear Koifarm,

I registered at the Clarity Cap website. However, I am unable to order items. They just don't have a button that says "Add to Cart".

I can see my shopping cart; just can't get things into it ... :cry:

CAT
21#
Koifarm 發表於 2007-12-27 18:59:18 | 只看該作者
Alfcat, this problem i had also. I just send a email with the parts i needed and ask for the amount i must pay to them inclusive the shipmentcost and paymentconditions. If you still have problems contact me. I can phone them and place your order.
22#
 樓主| alfcat 發表於 2007-12-27 23:26:54 | 只看該作者
Dear Koifarm,

No wonder. I will try by first dropping them an email.

Thanks for the info.

CAT
23#
 樓主| alfcat 發表於 2007-12-27 23:28:58 | 只看該作者
Dear Accuphoto,

I would like to take my FIRST trial by changing the C3 capacitor to 3uf for my colleague.

BTW, just need to change C3, no need for C11 which is sitting at the opposite. (Silly Q from people who doesn't know about electronics)

What brand would you suggest? Jensen? Auricap? or Moundorf?

CAT
24#
accphoto 發表於 2007-12-28 13:58:35 | 只看該作者
Dear CAT,
Shit, I must quote you the wrong number, It should be C2 which will affect most, it should be 3U, The Sid Smith circuit has corresponding value as follows :

C3 & C11 0.33u  400V
C1 &  C7 0.33u  400V
C2 &  C8 2-3U 400V
C14 &  C15 3.3U 200V

Since you are trial without knowing the result,  I suggest that you go for Aruircap first.  I still have reservation on the power supply.
C14 & C15 is also important, i suggest that you should change it too.
Jensen is certainly good but it will be quite expensive as for a trial.
You need to change both as it is for left and right channel.
25#
 樓主| alfcat 發表於 2007-12-28 14:07:50 | 只看該作者
Dear Accuphoto,

Thank God I take a last minute look at the forum. And thanks for your post right IN time .... I was just going to leave for Mongkok.

I will purchase the items as you described and see how it goes. Will give you a feedback by tomorrow night

Thanks again.

CAT
26#
 樓主| alfcat 發表於 2007-12-31 22:58:28 | 只看該作者
Dear Accphoto & Koifarm,

I changed all the caps of the Marantz 7C as the first trial. However, the Marantz 7 had been gone for too long and I can't exactly recall HOW it sound.

After upgrading, I "think" it gets closer to the Matisse but the Matisse seems to be a bit better. Unfortunately, my colleague is tooooo eager to get it back and I haven't got the chance to really compare the two.

I also changed the Volume switch as he doesn't like the Ladder one and I installed a TKD selector for him as well.

CAT

本帖子中包含更多資源

您需要 登錄 才可以下載或查看,沒有帳號?註冊

x
27#
accphoto 發表於 2008-1-3 23:15:43 | 只看該作者
ALPs is already very good. Hope your friend like the upgrade.
28#
 樓主| alfcat 發表於 2008-1-4 09:02:18 | 只看該作者
Dear Accphoto,

Thanks for your help along the way  

My colleague is now using the Marantz 7C but he said the Auricaps haven't yet run in. The sound is a bit dull for the time being.

I also changed some capacitors of my Antique Sound Lab amplifier. Will post the photos here later for sharing. However, the improvement is NOT good as expected. Maybe you can give me some advice as well.

CAT
29#
accphoto 發表於 2008-1-5 19:42:30 | 只看該作者
Yep, you can only listen it after 50 hours of running.
30#
viewer 發表於 2008-1-5 20:05:38 | 只看該作者
HI ALFCAT,

PO SHU (CENTRAL) HAVE "Black Beauty" VOLUME CONTROL FOR SELL.
I TAKE ONE BEFORE.
AROUND $200 EACH FIVE YEARS OLD.

THANKS.
31#
 樓主| alfcat 發表於 2008-1-5 20:56:30 | 只看該作者
Dear Viewer,

Long time no see la ... wish you the best for 2008.

I went to Po Shu right before New Year. They don't have the ALPS Black Beauty anymore. The old man said it had been sold out for some time.

On the contrary, I picked up TWO rolls of 100m hook up wire from them. They are from RS; should be pretty good wires. Only $ 110 each roll.

CAT
32#
viewer 發表於 2008-1-5 22:51:25 | 只看該作者
hi alfcat,
happy new year,
宝樹有東京光音volume control. It is better than alps  "Black Beauty".

thanks.
33#
viewer 發表於 2008-1-5 22:55:02 | 只看該作者
alfcat,

blue colour alps volume control 誤差是 4 to 5%
"Black Beauty"誤差是2%
東京光音volume control 誤差是1%

thanks
34#
accphoto 發表於 2008-1-6 00:11:45 | 只看該作者
東京光音 volume 好貴!600+不如用 Holco volume 啦,俾多 兩百元好聲好多。東京光音的聲偏薄。
35#
 樓主| alfcat 發表於 2008-1-6 09:06:20 | 只看該作者
Dear Accphoto & Viewer,

What do you think about the "ladder" volume I DIYed? Assuming that there is NO cold soldering, is that a good one? For this type of Ladder Volume control, what makes it good? The design? The materials? I got the thing from DIY zone.

The problem with that Ladder volume control is, it is step by step. Turn to step 4 is too low the volume, turn to step 5 it is too loud .... There are 24 steps, I never use more than 5 .... just don't know what is the use of the rest ....

CAT
36#
accphoto 發表於 2008-1-6 10:51:33 | 只看該作者
Ladder volume is certainly better than other volume as the sound signal only pass through one resistor. However, the type of resistor had significant influrence in the sound, normally , the best sounding resistor is RMG, than Holco, than Dale . AB had too much noise and is not suitable for such application. If you find the step is too loud, actually, you can modified the value of the resistor in the first few steps so that it suit you needs.Other volume like ALPS using carbon film, the sound is ok but in terms of music definition, those ladder volume will definitely win. One of the reason why Matisse sound so good is its volume is made of a pair of Holco Ladder Volume. the others are BHC caps .
37#
 樓主| alfcat 發表於 2008-1-6 16:30:40 | 只看該作者
Dear Accphoto,

The one I DIYed has 4 layers. Two Rin and Two Rg. That means the signal will go through TWO resistors for each channel, right?

So if I increase the Ohm value of the resistors, the sound will be lowered. Am I correct? If my logic is right, I should have the value (ohms) of the steps narrowed if I want small increment steps by steps.

You are very helpful ... many thanks.

CAT
38#
accphoto 發表於 2008-1-6 19:52:17 | 只看該作者
Actually, one resistor is on the signal path and one resistor to the ground. Change the value of the resistor to the ground (Rg) in the daigram will affect the loudiness of the sound. The below web will certainly help you

http://home.so-net.net.tw/chufamily/StepVR/Calculation/StepVR.htm

You can use the appropriate value on trial and error.
39#
 樓主| alfcat 發表於 2008-1-7 09:24:49 | 只看該作者
Dear Accphoto,

I see. I will try to get some DALE resistors and change the values of probably third to six / seven stages.

The one from DIYzone has small holes. I think it is not very possible to use RMG resistors as their leads are quite thick.

Still waiting for the Matisse and the ASL amp to get to their Normal stage after changing the caps.

Too busy helping my daughter to prepare for her exam yesterday and no chance to post neither photos or schematics of the amp. Really would like to seek your advice on whether I replaced the right materials inside the ASL amp.

CAT
40#
SSWONG 發表於 2008-1-7 15:53:47 | 只看該作者
Dear Cat,

If u step volume control, u can actually save cost by using very good resistor (e.g RMG or tantalum resistor) at the range you often use. then other range use cheap resistor.

Or u can use different brand of resistor so that can enjoy different type of sound....
41#
 樓主| alfcat 發表於 2008-1-7 20:24:37 | 只看該作者
Dear Accphoto,

I managed to get the Antique Sound Labs 6L6 Mono Block Schematics and post it here. Hope that you can give me some advice on upgrading it.

Following another link by an American, I upgraded TWO capacitors as indicated in the photo. The person used Moundorg Supreme Gold / Silver but I used Jensen same value 0.22uf / 650V. I also changed the other one to an Auricap as the original one is a bit cheap.

For resistors R5 & R6 (I guess), that person used DALE / Vishay but I used RMG with same value.

Do you think the modification makes sense?

CAT

本帖子中包含更多資源

您需要 登錄 才可以下載或查看,沒有帳號?註冊

x
42#
 樓主| alfcat 發表於 2008-1-7 20:29:04 | 只看該作者
Strange ... cannot upload the Schematics?

Converted it to JPEG and try again.

CAT

本帖子中包含更多資源

您需要 登錄 才可以下載或查看,沒有帳號?註冊

x
43#
 樓主| alfcat 發表於 2008-1-7 20:31:31 | 只看該作者
Dear WINDWSS,

As I have said before, the one I got from DIY got pretty small holes. I am not sure whether I can use RMG as their leads are pretty thick.

CAT
44#
accphoto 發表於 2008-1-7 22:10:50 | 只看該作者
Basically, i hatre those Japanese Electic-cap, If you really want a firm base, you should consider to upgrade those elect caps to black gate C1 and C2. If you do not want to spent a lot of money, consider Jensen elect caps.  C9 is also important as it is for the -Ve, consider blackgate as this will not too expensive. The circuit is so small that i cannot really read. The feedback resistor (R11 or 13??? ) is also important, suggest to change to RMG 2W.
45#
 樓主| alfcat 發表於 2008-1-8 09:57:33 | 只看該作者
Dear Accphoto,

Thanks for your ultra fast response. I am not sure whether this is my 心理 problem or what ... the whole system does NOT sound as good as before after changing the caps.

I have thought of two possibilities: ONE, of course, is the capacitors need time to run in. I just run them in for 20 hours or less.

Second, a Mis-Match or need to upgrade some other components to match those newly installed.

I will seriously consider your suggestion and will enlarge the Schematics later today when I got home.

Many thanks.

CAT
46#
viewer 發表於 2008-1-8 11:01:37 | 只看該作者
hi alfcat,

In my feeling, changing the resistors are better than caps.
i just replaced a lot of the resistors of  dac and sound parts in my mhzs cd33.
sound become clear and solid.
low costs and got high gain.

thanks for sharing.
47#
 樓主| alfcat 發表於 2008-1-8 13:41:40 | 只看該作者
Dear Viewer,

Can you post a photo showing the resistors you have changed?

I will see if I have time tonight and post my modified CD 33 with the DAC incorporated into it.

CAT
48#
 樓主| alfcat 發表於 2008-1-8 17:22:35 | 只看該作者
Dear friends,

I attached here a better schematics of the ASL AV-25. Hope this can help. I really would like to upgrade this Amp as I "think" this is a good amplifier at this price of HK$ 3K only.

CAT

本帖子中包含更多資源

您需要 登錄 才可以下載或查看,沒有帳號?註冊

x
49#
 樓主| alfcat 發表於 2008-1-8 17:32:44 | 只看該作者
Dear Viewer,

I didn't realise that I already posted the modified CD 33 with the DAC incorporated into it. I just made it a bit better by:

1. squeezed out some of the blue stuffs inside the cold / hot pad to make it thinner.

2. drilled a hole on the DAC PCB and installed a pole to stablize the board.

I have compared several songs with my CD 33 and the CD 88 unmodified. My CD 33 for sure sounds better than the CD 88.

CAT
50#
viewer 發表於 2008-1-8 18:00:03 | 只看該作者
hi alfcat,

i enclosed my cd 33 for your sharing.
white colour areas which replaced the 東京光音resistors and dale resistors.

thanks.

本帖子中包含更多資源

您需要 登錄 才可以下載或查看,沒有帳號?註冊

x
您需要登錄後才可以回帖 登錄 | 註冊

本版積分規則

GMT+8, 2024-4-27 02:42 , Processed in 0.053922 second(s), 25 queries , Gzip On.

© 2001-2011 Powered by Discuz! X3.2. Theme By Yeei!

快速回復 返回頂部 返回列表